Overwatch’s newest hero is now live in Blizzard’s arena shooter.
Baptiste, the 30th hero to the game, went live today with several new changes to the game’s mechanics and many hero overhauls for this new patch.
Starting with Baptiste, he’s an independent solider type who served in Talon and the Caribbean before going out on this own. He plays as a Support role with a mix of combat abilities and healing moves. His primary is the Biotic lander which shoots outbursts in 3-rounds which deals decent damage and healing ‘nades for his allies.
He can do Regerernative Burst, which will heal him and any allies over time. His Immortality Field shields anyone from being killed, but the drone that provides this shield seems to be super easy to take down. His Exo boots also allow him to soar through the skies by crouching before he jumps (Luigi?). And his Application Matrix will be his Ultimate- which allows any shots fired through his ulti to do extra damage.
Baptiste will have a few legendary skills with his launch. Personaly, I think the Spec Ops Legendary Skin looks the best out of the bunch compared to the Desert Ops, Buccaneer, or Pirate. The latter two don’t seem to fit his demeanor.
Regardless, here are the patch notes for Overwatch:
Beam-type damage for the following attacks is now reduced by 20% when hitting armor:
- Mei: Primary Fire
- Moira: Alternate Fire, Coalescence
- Symmetra: Primary Fire, Sentry Turret
- Winston: Primary Fire
- Zarya: Primary Fire
Furthermore, the following effects are no longer mitigated by armor:
- Ana: Primary Fire
- Ashe: Dynamite
- Hanzo: Dragonstrike
- Mei: Blizzard
- Moira: Biotic Orb
- Widowmaker: Venom Mine
- Zarya: Graviton Surge
Damage Boost is now applied when a projectile is fired rather than when it impacts a target. This change was likely instituted thanks to Baptiste’s new Ultimate ability.
Knockback distance is more consistent and less influenced by the target’s momentum. Moreover, flying heroes (such as Mercy while using her Valkyrie Ultimate) can now be knocked back and/or slowed.
Finally, there are two new sound effects in the game. One sound plays when you land a damage-boosted hit and a different sound plays when you land a hit that does no damage. Once again, these additions are likely due to Baptiste’s abilities.
Overwatch March 19, 2019 Patch – Hero Changes
Finally, the Overwatch March 19 patch has made some minor changes to a lot of heroes. Here’s the list:
- Nano Boost heal reduced from 300 to 250
- Rising Uppercut cooldown reduced from 7 seconds to 6 seconds.
- Seismic Slam cooldown reduced from 7 seconds to 6 seconds.
- Sonic Arrow detection radius increased from 7 meters to 9 meters.
- Frag Launcher impact damage increased from 40 to 50.
- RIP-Tire cost increased by 10%.
- Amp It Up Speed Boost amplification reduced from 70% to 50%.
- Cross Fade Speed Boost effect reduced from 30% to 20%.
- Sonic Amplifier’s Soundwave now counts towards Offensive Assists.
- Wall Rider speed buff increased from 20% to 40%.
- Fan the Hammer damage reduced from 55 to 50.
- Deadeye damage per second increased from 275 to 550 after locking on to targets for 1.5 seconds.
- Endothermic Blaster primary fire damage increased from 2.25 (45 damage per second) to 2.75 (55 damage per second).
- Ice Wall health reduced from 500 to 400.
- Biotic Grasp heal over time increased from 3 seconds to 4 seconds.
- Total healing increased from 50 to 65.
- Fusion Driver movement speed penalty reduced from 50% to 30%.
- Rocket Launcher explosion damage increased from 16.25 to 20.
- The Reaping healing (via doing damage) reduced from 50% to 40%.
- Pulse Rifle damage increased from 19 to 20.
- Sprint delay before shooting reduced from 0.5 seconds to 0.3 seconds.
- Tactical Visor can now target RIP-Tire and Immortality Field.
- Hack cooldown reduced by half when hacking medkits.
- Changed the visuals to make it clearer that someone has been hacked.
- Photon Projector primary fire damage ramps up 20% faster.
- Base health increased by 50 armor for a total of 250 maximum health.
- Overload armor gain reduced from 150 to 100.
- Infra-Sight now reveals enemy health bars.
- Infra-Sight is now canceled when Widowmaker dies.
- Adaptive Shield no longer cancels Roll Mode.
- Particle Cannon alternative fire explosion radius changed to 2 meters. Energy level is no longer a factor in the explosion radius.
- Orb of Destruction damage increased from 46 to 48.
- Orb of Discord effect reduced from 30% to 25%.